[time-nuts] What's available in the way of DSP for new WWVB?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:33:35 UTC 2020

Hi Hal
I think your asking for an A/D if this is a receiver.
I can speak to the front end.
In the the US the signal in the east is some 10-60 uv during the day.
To leverage the full scale of the A/D that has to be amplified to the A/Ds
full scale. Say 1-2 V.
Thats easily some 90DBv of gain. So a good front end TRF design with
filtering would work great. The next part of your question is a lot harder.
What use will the receiver be used for?
Everything I see is that the signal is sampled as I & Q The carrier and -90
degrees. The carrier ends up being locked at a higher frequency perhaps 10X
60 KHz and that is used with  two A/Ds.
For me it gets muddy just about here. Could 1 A/D be used and the sampling
done in the data domain? Suspect thats a yes. Then when you have the
samples what to do with them.
That goes back to the what does the receiver do question.
Regards
Paul