[time-nuts] What's available in the way of DSP for new WWVB?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 9 14:43:44 UTC 2020

Hi

For a full setup, you could do it a lot of ways. A setup of:

Antenna -> front end -> ADC -> MCU -> D/A would be one approach. Various
bits like a local clock also would get into the design. There are *many* other
approaches.

There are a lot of D/A’s that will clock in the 100’s of KHz range. If you are only
trying to come up with an analog of a WWVB signal the “10 bit” D/A’s found in
some MCU’s would do the trick. In the setup above, the ADC would likely be
harder to come up with than the DAC.

Since you are only trying to come up with a carrier, the need for a D/A is not
an absolute one. Taking a square wave of some sort and filtering it a bit would
be adequate to drive most of these old WWVB receivers.

Bob