[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:51:55 UTC 2020

John I don't think so as not sure how many have built a large antenna.
Certainly any of the old wwvb receivers have details and thats pretty much
what most people copy.
Essentially a 3 foot copper loop with numbers of turns of wire connected
together. Like 25 pair telco cable connected end to end. A large capacitor
is then put across the loop to resonate it at 60 KHz. Then the preamp. Some
use a FET transistor followed by a line driver transistor. Power is sent
over the coax so a blocking cap and inductor.
Really big is 10' by 10' using shielded 36 wire ribbon cable. ( did not use
all 36 conductors it was to much L but 800 ft worth. The shield acts like
the copper pipe and it must be broken so that it does not look like a
shorted loop. Add the cap and preamp.
In this case I built a 2 transistor NPN 2n3904 preamp.
On the large antenna I use a 2 X 6 post 4ft in the ground with cement. A
mast above that to support the antenna and to allow it to be turned a bit
to null MSF.
Thats it no real magic. Its been operational for 7 years with an occasional
transistor replacement. Also coax, darn woodpeckers!
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL