[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 02:01:03 UTC 2020

The additional article John sent us is a pretty good read. Having soldered
all the little wires together with heat shrink, I can see the advantage of
the epoxy approach.

A consideration for the discussion. So far its been about the various tried
and true methods for a RF frontend. But the real challenge that is in front
of us is the software that uses that frontend. How about a very easy to
build a phase flipper so that those that are software inclined do not need
to deal with the frontend to get going. The dpskr has a phase flipper in it.
But it can be even simpler than that.

A 60 KHz logic signal ( divide 6 Mhz down or anything else thats easy)
Feeds an inverter to generate the 180 degree phase. A gate to select 0 or
180 degrees. All of the gates/inverters can actually be a single quad
nand gate. A D flip flop with the clock from the 0 degree 60 KHz logic
level. Your data into the D input. The D flip flop synchronizes the data to
the clock. On the output you can filter the signal or not and cut the level
down or not.
Its a BPSK source.
Granted in a pure gate approach the actual bpsk flip will not be the 2 X 60
KHz for 1/2 cycle. But in real receivers the 120 KHz never comes through
the various stages and filters. So no real harm. This also doesn't supply
the AM signals 14-17 db modulation. But its good enough to allow software
to be developed and its simple.
Good luck
Paul
WB8TSL