[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

John Magliacane kd2bd at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 10 16:00:24 UTC 2020

For WWVB reception, I use a single turn of 40-conductor ribbon cable, configured as a 40-turn loop, brought to resonance with a parallel capacitance, that differentially drives an instrumentation amplifier. No electrostatic shielding is needed to eliminate e-field pickup with this approach.

The antenna hangs in my attic with thumbtacks and does a commendable job, day or night, 1622 miles east of WWVB.  See attached JPEG image.

The March 2017 issue of "Circuit Cellar" magazine described an "improved" version of my antenna/preamp combination (which I haven't looked into).  See attached PDF document.

During my early experimentation, I realized that the preamp would need to have a high dynamic range in order to perform well in the high-noise environment that is LF.   And if the preamp is going to feed a receiver through any reasonable length of coax, it will need to be able to drive a high capacitance load as well.

73.000 de John, KD2BD