[time-nuts] WWVB Dephaser Question

Chris Howard chris at elfpen.com
Sat Oct 10 11:43:32 UTC 2020

For my little WWVB project  I used the table saw to cut off the
upper 3 inches of a 5 gal bucket from Lowes (having removed the handle
first).
Then I wrapped that with about 30 turns of enameled wire from
an old TV flyback transformer.  I then measured the inductance
and added the required capacitance to tune it to 60 kHz.

I am doing direct sampling with a teensyduino and sound card.
I have not tackled the phase decoding, which would be superior.

https://github.com/chris-elfpen/Teensy4WWVBsdr

On 10/9/20 7:04 PM, John C. Westmoreland, P.E. wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for that detailed explanation.  I've done something similar for MARS
> but of course higher frequency and that was transmit also.
>
> I've seen the site of something similar but I think that was a 3' diameter
> design; and I've looked at some of the Symmetricom schematics I've
> been able to find but have yet to find a schematic of one of
> the Symmetricom receive antennas.  I was hoping to find the one they had
> for outdoor pole mount.  It's mentioned in a lot of their documents and
> even some pics but no schematic details or BOM for that I've been able to
> find.
>
> Thanks to Tim also for the response and have a good weekend!
>
> 73's,
> John
> AJ6BC
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020, 15:24 paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John I don't think so as not sure how many have built a large antenna.
>> Certainly any of the old wwvb receivers have details and thats pretty much
>> what most people copy.
>> Essentially a 3 foot copper loop with numbers of turns of wire connected
>> together. Like 25 pair telco cable connected end to end. A large capacitor
>> is then put across the loop to resonate it at 60 KHz. Then the preamp. Some
>> use a FET transistor followed by a line driver transistor. Power is sent
>> over the coax so a blocking cap and inductor.
>> Really big is 10' by 10' using shielded 36 wire ribbon cable. ( did not use
>> all 36 conductors it was to much L but 800 ft worth. The shield acts like
>> the copper pipe and it must be broken so that it does not look like a
>> shorted loop. Add the cap and preamp.
>> In this case I built a 2 transistor NPN 2n3904 preamp.
>> On the large antenna I use a 2 X 6 post 4ft in the ground with cement. A
>> mast above that to support the antenna and to allow it to be turned a bit
>> to null MSF.
>> Thats it no real magic. Its been operational for 7 years with an occasional
>> transistor replacement. Also coax, darn woodpeckers!
>> Regards
>> Paul
>> WB8TSL
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM John C. Westmoreland, P.E. <
>> john at westmorelandengineering.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the answer; but does anyone actually have a documented
>>> specification posted for one of these 'massive' WWVB 60kHz antennas
>>> someplace?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> 73's,
>>> John