[time-nuts] 5065A phase noise

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 15 14:54:32 UTC 2020

Hi

There are a *lot* of ways 60 Hz (and other power related) signals can get into an
RF chain. Pretty much anything that modulates the ground can modulate the (net)
supply to various stages. Modulate the supply and you get AM and PM noise…..

Taking care of ground loops is a significant part of any precision measurement.  The
issue is most obvious on a phase noise plot. The same sort of noise also impacts
ADEV measurements.

=====

For the kind of noise levels in your plots, a simple single mixer driving a sound card
will do a fine job of measuring phase noise. Something like a Mini Circuits RPD-1 running
into a low noise op-amp “preamp”. If you terminate the mixer in about 5K ohms the
op-amp does not need to be super duper. An (very old) OP-37 would do fine.

Ground loop wise, a sound card presents it’s own set of issues. A QA401 isn’t exactly cheap,
but it does a pretty good job.

https://quantasylum.com/collections/frontpage/products/qa401-audio-analyzer <https://quantasylum.com/collections/frontpage/products/qa401-audio-analyzer>

Bob