[time-nuts] Fwd: cheap frequency extension for timepod

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Sat Oct 17 12:59:26 UTC 2020

I'm trying to make a quick frequency extender for a timepod.

MCL PSC2-1 power divider, 2* SRA-1  7 dBm ring mixer, 2 DIL 80
MHz-oscillators

The oscillators can drive the ring mixers with just a coupling capacitor
and 50 Ohm

load limiting resistor. It is still a square wave at the LO port, but
the diodes in the mixer

would square it up on their own.

When there is no 5V-power, the oscillators are off and the LO inputs are
connected

to SMA connectors via the normally closed contacts of two reed relays.

Then the whole thing is passive and needs two external synthesizers.

Before I continue with the material I had in the junkbox, a quick
question to those

of you who have done that already:

Are 7 dBm mixers like SRA-1 good enough or is 17 dBm an advantage worth the

driver amplifiers? The usual signal generators max out at 13 dBm.

I have 2 17 dBm SRA1-WH, but it would require slaughtering something
unimportant.

How close must the oscillators be in frequency?

Have a nice weekend,

Gerhard, DK4XP