[time-nuts] Fwd: cheap frequency extension for timepod

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Oct 17 18:48:58 UTC 2020

FWIW, I have done PN measurements at 144 MHz with the TimePod and a
Frankenstein's laboratory lashup of 80 MHz ULN, HP doubler to 160 MHz,
HP mixer, and several amp and filter blocks.  As far as I can tell, it
worked pretty well; at least, I could discern the PN difference among
several sources, some of them quite good.

Not sure why you are doing two oscillators/mixers, though.  I used a 5
or 10 MHz reference directly into the TimePod, and the DUT fed through
the mixer.  No need to increase the frequency of the reference to match
the DUT.  But if you do want to mix both the REF and DUT channels,
wouldn't it be better to use a single source to drive both mixers?

John
----