[time-nuts] Time and tide - pendulum clocks and gravity tides

Kiwi Geoff geoff36 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:51:51 UTC 2020

Note sure if this has been raised here before, but a new paper by
Duncan Agnew is available.

"Time and tide: pendulum clocks and gravity tides"

https://hgss.copernicus.org/articles/11/215/2020/

It thanks TVB in the "Acknowledgements", so hopefully it is safe to
mention it here.

I enjoyed reading it.

On a personal note, it "sort of" ties in with a project I am currently
playing with (clocks and ocean tides) where I have written a new
algorithm to improve the accuracy of setting a conventional Tide
Clock.

Whilst doing this, I wondered whether I could change my 100 year old
family heirloom Ansonia Kitchen clock, to run (at a more leisurely
rate in its retirement) as a Tide Clock, by increasing the pendulum
period by:

M2 constituent of the Harmonic Tide

Speed = 28.984104 (degrees per hour)
Period = 360 / Speed = 12 Hours 25 Minutes 14.165 Seconds
Increase Pendulum Period by 12:25:14.165 / 12:00:00 = 1.035050

There is only 1mm of thread left on the pendulum shaft, but I was very
pleased to be able to regulate it to within the thermal limitations of
a steel pendulum rod !

Not exactly approaching "Time Nuts" precision though !

Regards,
Geoff Hitchcox
Christchurch, New Zealand.