[time-nuts] Time and tide - pendulum clocks and gravity tides

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Oct 19 11:55:10 UTC 2020

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting the link. Also nice that the PDF is open access. [1]

Besides a large collection of quartz and atomic clocks some of you know
that I also play with pendulum clocks. Duncan Agnew's paper is really
good and I was very happy that someone with his reputation and
background would spend time to write such a scholarly paper about
pendulum clocks, specifically about performance and perturbations. The
world of precision timing has, of course, long since moved from
mechanical clocks to electronic quartz, atomic, and now optical clocks.
Yet, some of us are still really fascinated with pendulum clocks. [2]

We know from thousands of postings here that frequency standards are
somewhat affected by temperature, and often also by pressure, humidity,
air flow, voltage, tilt (static acceleration), vibration (dynamic
acceleration), output load, age, and even by velocity & elevation
(relativistic effects).

So part of the fun of this time nut hobby is to focus on the sources of
instability and try to measure them. I can't think of another hobby
where something works 99.999999999% perfectly but we totally ignore that
and instead worry or delight about the 0.000000001% imperfection still
left. Some would call it a disease...

Anyway, the world of precision timing with pendulum clocks is similar,
but being large objects there are even more weird effects at work, all
of which conspire to degrade performance over time. Geoff -- earthquakes
for example. [4] One of the most subtle effects of all is the effect of
the moon (and sun) on a pendulum clocks. Yes, the "phase of the moon"
really does apply. Ok, it's minor and only a few pendulum clocks ever
built are good enough to detect this, but that's part of the allure.
Some pendulum clock & tides background reading here:

http://leapsecond.com/hsn2006/

/tvb

[1] https://hgss.copernicus.org/articles/11/215/2020/hgss-11-215-2020.pdf

[2] http://www.hsn161.com/HSN/newsletter.html