[time-nuts] IEEE 1588 PTP support on raspberry pi 4 compute module

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 20 21:55:59 UTC 2020

Hi

Two very separate chunks to this:

To get 1588 to work well, you either need very lightly loaded hardware ,  no hardware or 1588 compatible
switches and routers. In most cases “home use” cases NTP will get you into the microsecond(s) level. It
does not take any fancy hardware and NTP drivers exist for just about everything. If you happen to have
a WiFi setup as part of your “net” forget about any sort of timing accuracy dimensioned in microseconds.

====

Time wise, a < $10 single band GPS module ( ublox 8 series or whatever ) will get you well below 100 ns.
That’s much “better” time than NTP or 1588 will reliably transfer. The F9P ( or better the F9T ) will do some
neat stuff, you will loose it’s “value” as soon as you try to move it over the ethernet.

Simple answer:

Plug one of the many ublox modules into a random PC or server, bring up NTP, get things pointed at it,
move on. For added points, bring up three or four NTP servers …..

Bob