[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

Giorgio Barinetti giorgio at barinetti.it
Thu Oct 22 11:50:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

As a newbie in the field, I've collected, by chance, some frequency standards.

Now is the time to measure them, and see how they perform.

I've inherited a 5371, but something tells me that is not the right instrument - and maybe is even faulty.

So, I'm in the need to buy a counter to use togheter with TimeLab.

Choices are many, but I'll try to avoid the "older" machines lile 5370 or 5335. The 531xx series seems nice ( money apart )
But again : which one between the 3 ? 53131, 53132 or 53181 ?

Can somebody shed some light, and maybe help even to found a baseline for us beginners ?

Regards,
IZ2JGB
Giorgio

My NTP servers: (ntpd on FreeBSD - PPS in via Serial)

HP/Symmetricom 55300A  https://www.ntppool.org/scores/93.41.196.243

Efratom Rb/Xc GPSDO https://www.ntppool.org/scores/95.255.136.126