[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Oct 22 13:33:07 UTC 2020

Avoid the 53181A; too limited. Both the 53131A / 53132A are "universal"
counters so they do frequency, period, time interval, and lots more.

They are very useful counters. The rs232 talk-only mode makes it very
easy to collect data on a PC. No programming required. The 53132A has a
bit higher resolution than a 53131A so that's a plus. But if you plan to
use the external reference the 53131A accepts 5/10 MHz while the 53132A,
last I checked, will only accept 10 MHz.

A lower cost alternative is the TAPR/TICC. If you already have a
commercial counter I would recommend looking at the TICC as your next
counter. As this is your first counter I would recommend a 53131/53132
over the TICC. The TICC is "headless" and has only hard-coded CMOS
digital inputs. The hp units have all the physical front panel buttons,
status LED's and live display. Plus the comprehensive input conditioning
features. And useful frequency gate time or digits modes, etc. Lots of
cool features. Built-in statistics too.

The 5371A is a beast. But it you can get it working it has 10x better
performance than a 53132A.

/tvb