[time-nuts] 5065A Rb Cavity RX - Varactor repair?

Ulf Kylenfall ulf_r_k at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 13:59:24 UTC 2020

Strolled into my little lab only to find the 5065A's Red Integrator Limit
light on. Control negative fsd. PhotoCurrent OK. No 2nd harmonic.

Was just about to power off and start to disassemble the unit.
All of a sudden, the Integrator light went out. Control went to zero
and by pressing Reset, the unit locked with previous 2nd harmonic
level indication.

What ever the problem was, I do not know. I guess I can fix (redesign)
the synthesizer and replace some semiconductors that have failed
but if the problem is in the Rb Cavity RX unit - Varactor - there is a
problem. From a similar unit (but without the TED) I can see that
some part of the varactor assembly can be dismantled, but then
there are a few tiny screws that seems hard to reach.

Has anybody repaired the Rx part with the varactor assembly?

Regards

Ulf Kylenfall
SM6GXV