[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

Giorgio Barinetti giorgio at barinetti.it
Thu Oct 22 15:00:09 UTC 2020

Hi Bob,

Nice explanation. I'll see what I can do to find a 53132.

Maybe, in the meantime, if I'll be lucky to find a 5370, I'll play on it.

Regarding the mixer based setup, I'm already in progress for setting up a suitable test jig.

Please point to some information, if you have it handy.

Regards,

Giorgio.

Hi

> Hi,

> As a newbie in the field, I've collected, by chance, some frequency standards.

> Now is the time to measure them, and see how they perform.

> I've inherited a 5371, but something tells me that is not the right instrument - and maybe is even faulty.

> So, I'm in the need to buy a counter to use togheter with TimeLab.

> Choices are many, but I'll try to avoid the "older" machines lile 5370 or 5335. The 531xx series seems nice ( money apart )

> But again : which one between the 3 ? 53131, 53132 or 53181 ?

53181 = single channel 400 ps counter

53131 = dual channel 400 ps counter

53132 = dual channel 100 ps counter

5370 (when working) = dual channel 20 ps counter

The gotcha is that none of them are good enough to properly measure 1

second ADEV on a good ( but still could be cheap ) OCXO. A mixer based

setup is a cheap way to get things done, even with a 5335.

The 531xx counters all share a couple of issues:

1) The power supply was made by who knows who and their quality is not

the best. Good news is that the power supply out of a (cheap) 53181 will

swap over to revive an expensive 53132.

2) They have a fan, it plugs with dust. When that happens it gets hot inside

the cabinet. Things (like the power supply) die as a result.

3) They have a VFD display. It's a nice one, but they do wear out. Replacing

them is problematic.

4) They have a fancy setup to add digits to a frequency measurement. It

can lead you astray. It also tends to go deaf right at 10 MHz. There are app

notes out there that explain the details.

5) With *any* counter, a good external reference is the way to go for "Time Nut"

grade measurements.

None of that is to say they are a bad counter, far from it. I have a number

of them and have been using them here and at work for decades. The 532xx

counters are the latest and greatest. They are on eBay, but not cheap.

Bob