[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 22 17:29:07 UTC 2020

Hi

One approach to a mixer setup is the DMTD (dual mixer time difference).
It has a “little cousin” that also does very will running one mixer instead of
two. The limit there being that you need to be able to tune one or both the
devices you are testing to get a beat note in the 2 to 10 Hz range.

There are lots and lots of posts on DMTD’s so I’lll leave that to others. Single
mixer sort of works like this:

Grab a MiniCircuits RPD-1 and drive both ports into saturation ( about +7 dbm).

What comes out will be a triangle wave. To get the max voltage out ( which is
a good thing in this case) terminate the output into >= 5K ohms at audio / DC.
You will need some RF filtering on the output to knock down the 2X input frequency
RF on the output.

Any of a number of op-amps from the good old OP-37 on will do a fine job of
acting as a preamp for the audio. My preference is to amplify it up pretty far
(like 10X) and then feed it into a multi stage limiter.

There is a paper running around behind the IEEE paywall by Collins that details
one approach to designing multi-stage limiters. There are other ways to do it.
The key is to not go to crazy all in one stage.

The output of the last limiter stage feeds your counter. With a good limiter
you might get 6 fairly solid digits on your 5335 (off of a pair of 10 MHz OCXO’s).
Without a good limiter, you are doing well at three solid digits on the 5335.

Fun !!!

Bob