[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Oct 22 17:13:39 UTC 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:50:08 +0000
Giorgio Barinetti <giorgio at barinetti.it> wrote:

> Choices are many, but I'll try to avoid the "older" machines lile 5370 or 5335. The 531xx series seems nice ( money apart )
> But again : which one between the 3 ? 53131, 53132 or 53181 ?

Maybe try to get hold of one of the Philips (later licensed to
Fluke) PM6680 or PM6681? These are more common in Europe than
in the US, so the big US dominated websites/forums/.. don't
mention them that often. Solid devices that can be had as low
as 300€ if you are willing to wait, 500-800€ is the usual going
price. The SR620 is the workhorse that drives a lot of the
time and frequency metrology worldwide and can be had new and
used (new on http://thinksrs.com goes for 800-2000€ used).

If you go for a new one, I would consider looking at the
Pendulum CNT-90 and CNT-91. (Pendulum is the company that
took over Philips frequency counter business and the CNT-90
is the continuation of the PM668x line, also sold as PM6690
by Fluke)

			Attila Kinali
--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.