[time-nuts] Hands-on book on crystal oscillator design (was: phase noise webinar from IEEE MTT-S)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Oct 23 21:18:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:03:30 -0700
Bill Notfaded <notfaded1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I attended too.  This guy is so theoretical it was kinda hard to put into
> practical terms but I will say after reading some of his book he does
> understand some novel ways to calculate what's needed for reaching lower
> noise levels.

If you are looking for a hands-on practical book on crystal
oscillator design, I can recommend Matthys' "Crystal Oscillator
Circuits" from 1992 (revised edition). It will give you easy
rules on how to get a decent oscillator circuit and also some
rules of thumb on how to make it "low noise". It will, however,
not give you the knowledge that you need to make it time-nuts level
of low noise. That requires quite a bit more theory.

			Attila Kinali
--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.