[time-nuts] "When you google word ..."

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Oct 30 21:03:42 UTC 2020

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> Right, OCXO are not stable enough at the desired tau to do a blueshift
> experiment. So that's why atomic (and now, optical) clocks are used. But
> note that many experimental confirmations of general relativity, from
> planets to black holes, do not involve clocks, per se.

A friend who worked at the VLA told me (roughly) the following story.

NASA had a probe way out near Saturn or Jupiter.  They wanted a refinment on
the location.  So the VLA pointed their antennas at the probe, got some data,
crunched the numbers, and gave the answer to NASA.  NASA didn't like that
answer.  After the typical head scratching that goes with debugging a
complicated pile of software, the VLA figured out that they had never done the
blue-shift calculations for something that was already half way down the solar
gravity well.  The things they normally look at are much farther away, at the
top of the well.  NASA was much happier with a revised answer.

---------

For time-nuts, GPS has got to be the most obvious confirmation of relativity.

If I look inside a high-end GPS receiver, are there any relativity corrections
due to elevation?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.