[time-nuts] OCXO for HP 53310A

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Tue Sep 1 06:57:03 UTC 2020

On Mittwoch, 26. August 2020 18:46:59 CEST Hans Jørgen Eriksen wrote:
> Just got my hands on a HP 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer (with option
> 031) As it doesn’t have option 010 – OCXO, I want to get hold of "the best
> OCXO" and either build it into my house reference or into the back of the
> 53310A The original 53310A OCXO was a HP 10811-60111, which I can find for
> ~100USD But is it better to get another brand/model?
> Like the
> Morion MV89A?
> MTI 260?
> Or the HP E1938?
> Others to consider?
> Which parameter is the most important for the 53310A?
> Phase Noise?
> Short term stability?
> I do have a GPSDO to take care of the long-term drift
> The 53310A will mostly be used to play around with home made GPSDO and
> various OCXO’s – and to learn

In my limited experience, the biggest problem with the selection is that the
OCXOs you'll likely find on the surplus market usually have not been handled
very carefully. Whatever their specs have been when they were put into
service, there's quite likely nothing left of it after they have been in the
hands of the "recycler".

I've recently bought a MV89 which turned out to be great, but I've also bought
4 MV85 (5V, small, double-oven) of which one is near its end of life and two
others turned out to be fake.