[time-nuts] Quartzlock E10-MRX

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Sep 2 00:00:47 UTC 2020

Hi

With an Rb, you have a magnetic shield (somewhere) as part of the overall
design. In some cases, this is worked into the outer package shell (… it’s
cheaper to do that way. ). There’s only so much you can do to move the parts
of the unit around.

=====

A fan will not “move” the baseplate any more than a very large passive
heatsink. To the degree one is slower, it’s due to the very much larger thermal
mass. In a slowly changing environment ( = typical HVAC system ) there will
be very little difference.

The key with the fan is to put the $2 into a control circuit. You then have a much
more stable baseplate than you would have with a passive solution. You are not
controlling the entire device surface temperature so it’s not quite the same as
having it in a fully controlled environment. Even so, it’s probably a significant
improvement over “out in the open”.

Bob