[time-nuts] Reality check - understanding MV89A aging figures

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Thu Sep 3 21:14:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

since I'm using the MV89A timebase of my counter for all measurements, this
should provide a possibility to also evaluate the stability of that timebase,
shouldn't it?

When I measure a GPSDO, while it is locked the long term stability will be as
good as the GPS clock. Therefore, all drift I'm seeing in the measurements
will be from the counter timebase.

Now, TimeLab tells me the drift is around 3E-5 Hz per hour. Pulling up the
well-known datasheet for the MV89A, depending on the OCXO class the aging is
between +/- 3e-8 and +/- 5e-9  per year. Since no unit is given on the data
sheet I'm assuming it is relative accuracy, right?

The datasheet doesn't give daily aging figures but states that the typical
correspondence between yearly and daily is a factor of 1e-2.

Therefore, is the following calculation correct:

5e-9 / year => 5e-11 / day => around 2e-12 / hour, relative accuracy

2e-12 / hour * 10 MHz = 2e-5 Hz / hour

If that's correct, my timebase would be still in spec, not best in class but
quite OK, at least as far as aging is concerned.

BR,
Matthias