[time-nuts] Reality check - understanding MV89A aging figures

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Sep 3 23:39:03 UTC 2020

Hi

OCXO aging is not “linear” in the fashion you are trying to interpret it. Put another way,
daily aging does not equal yearly aging / 365. Hourly aging does not equal daily aging / 24.
The drivers are not that simple or that well behaved. If you find a spec that calls out a lot
of details, there may be a daily rate “after X days on power”. There also might be a monthly
and yearly number.

A typical OCXO will have an daily aging rate that decrease day to day for (most likely)
the first 30 to 90 days after power on. What it does past that is very dependent on a
bunch of process variables, both in the crystal *and* the circuit. Eventually the daily
aging rate will “bounce” back and forth from positive to negative. The net effect will
be quite low, even if the daily numbers still are very noticeable.

All this *assumes* that temperature / voltage / load / whatever are kept constant enough
to not impact things. On a 10811 “whatever” includes both pressure and humidity. On
a MV89 one would hope those are less of an issue.

There are a number of classical formulas for modeling crystal aging. The gotcah is that
they work well for bad crystals ( = ones that age a lot ). They tend to be less useful
for low aging parts. The formula *assumes* there is one dominant driver, in a good
crystal, that’s not the case.

Fun !!

Bob