[time-nuts] 5 Digit Panel meters

Robert LaJeunesse lajeunesse at mail.com
Tue Sep 8 00:24:23 UTC 2020

The similar meters I have are based on the Microchip MCP3421, a tiny 6-pin SOT 18 bit ADC with internal 2.048V 15 ppm (typ) reference, differential inputs, and a PGA. Input span is +/-2.048V at minimum gain to +/-0.256V with a PGA gain of 8. So at max gain 1 LSB is about 2uV, although I'd be surprised if it was that quiet (the spec at PGA=1 is 1.5uV typical, no max given). Initial accuracy is not great at 0.35% max, but that can be trimmed out externally or via software. For an 18 bit ADC with a decent reference it's actually a rather good deal at under US $2 (qty 25+). Just don't expect it to be an accurate 18 bits over a wide temp range, references like that don't sell so cheap.

Bob L.