[time-nuts] Thunderbolt E failing

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 07:31:04 UTC 2020

I used special order PVC Pipe with end caps, used the drilling mud to encase it in the ground. The top cap had a U made up of PVC L's and was removable. Initial tests where without any filling. Once convinced it worked I filled the pipe with coin bags my local banker got me. Very strong canvas. Filled with gravel and sand.and a numbered string attached. Used it from 74 till 93 when I sold the home. Dug out 6 inches and filled it with dirt.Never detected any moisture.Used a Tracor M100 modified to 60 KHz for comparison it served me in Miami till 60 KHz was modified. Bert Kehren   In a message dated 9/16/2020 1:16:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, hmurray at megapathdsl.net writes:
 phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:> I later talked to a geologist who knows the Danish underground well, and he> estimated I would have needed to drill to at least 25m depth to escape> seasonal temperature-changes and cited a research paper from the 1950'ies> where the did precisely that experiment.  I found a paper showing skin depth at 1 year of 3-4 meters for soil, a bit over 1 meter for ice and rock. Does a pipe in the ground stay dry?  Or how do you keep in dry?  In summer, I'd expect it to be cool and if the humidity in the outside air is above X% it would condense in the pipe.  Do you just cover the top to avoid air mixing?  Does in need a desiccant?  ... -- These are my opinions.  I hate spam.    _______________________________________________time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at lists.febo.comTo unsubscribe, go to http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.comand follow the instructions there.