[time-nuts] Brand new OCXO/TCXO reccomenations

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Thu Sep 24 00:20:50 UTC 2020

I'm hoping some of the list are familiar with the newer currently-available
oscillators available from the distributors.

Some background:

I'm starting to play with a short-term 1PPS holdover application, mainly to
cover up brief GPS signal loss events (a few minutes at most).

Since I may at some point want to make numerous copies of this, I'd rather
start with a new oscillator as opposed to digging through the junkbox or
buying surplus.   Lower cost (<$100 ideal, lower is even better) and power
consumption is good.   My short-term stability requirements indicate to me
that I'm probably looking for an OCXO instead of a TCXO, although it looks
like some of the best TCXO's out there are in the range which will work in
most cases (50ppb over temperature (or better)).

I suspect I'm going to handle the holdover in a FPGA.  As such, I don't
think I'm going to bother trying to voltage control the oscillator.  Seems
like it will make the overall circuit simpler and I don't have to worry
about a whole bunch of control circuit temperature compensation.

I've dug through enough datasheets at this point, my eyes are glazing
over.   I also know that the spec sheets are only part of the story when it
comes to oscillators.  I also have found over the years that often the part
I'm looking for (that 20ppb Temperature-stable TCXO for a reasonable price)
exists if you know the vendor to look at...

So any specific recommendations or pointers toward a brand/type would be
appreciated.

--
- Forrest