[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Bill Notfaded notfaded1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:27:49 UTC 2020

I plan to keep BVA powered.  My question was how do you accomplish this and
what do you do it with?  I've been using PS like for example Fluke
PM2811, Tekpower TP3005T, Dr. Meter HY3005F-3 (these are similar), Sorensen
and some older HP.  I've had good luck them all so far.  I'm curious if
someone's found some better way that's smaller and newer and still good?
It looks like a big UPS is in my future.  Luckily I rarely have power
outages here even in the desert of the southwest in AZ where the temp and
even humidity is mostly stable inside in the AC in summer and even heat in
the winter.  It's dry in both cases inside in my lab.

Do you monitor the thermistor along with the frequency and external
temperature/humidty?  I've been using this for external:

http://www.dogratian.com/products/index.php/menu-sensors/menu-usb-pa-type-a-bmp085

It seems to work pretty well to monitor temp and humidity with USB for the
room plugged into my computer.

What I'm starting to think about is how do this on much larger scale at the
same time?  I have a few counters 53131, 53132, CNT-90, and an SRS SR620
but how do you do long term measurements over long extended periods on
multiple powered up oscillators?  Is there a mass way to do this?  I know
the computer could handle this with GPIB but is there another better way to
say monitor all these variables on say 5 to 10 DUT constantly easier?  I
have an HP3458A but I wouldn't want to keep it tied up too long.  The
counters I run a lot so that's not a problem really.  What do you
orchestrate the whole thing with?  I have labview NXG but I'm not sure some
hardware DAQ or something with some scripts might not be better for
multiple DUT than messing with labview running all the time.

How do you do it?  How do you get stats on multiple oscillators for years?
I suppose some oscillators deserve their own dedicated counter 24*7 and
maybe even a raspberry pi to sample the GPIB.  I do have a few USB to GPIB
interfaces and Pi's are pretty cheap but I've only got a 2 and a 3 right
now.  But then is there a timelab for Linux?

I suppose the first main key is to just keep all the OCXO and GPSDO's
powered all the time first on a UPS?

Thanks,

Bill