[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:52:43 UTC 2020

Bill, most modern double-oven OCXO's (including I think the BVA under
discussion) are under 5W average consumption after warmed up.

Most UPS's are rated for near-peak-power output (most of a kW or more) for
5 or 10 minutes to give time to shut computers down gracefully and are not
sized well for keeping a single 5W device powered up for hours (days?
depends on your requirement) although you can use them that way with a
substantial loss of efficiency.

Figure out your needed hang-time, and size 24V gel-cell or AGM battery to
keep the OCXO's ovens warm and oscillator humming. Diode-or'ing works well
and if you need to account for a 24V gel cell really being 28V under float
charge, use multiple series diodes in that leg to get voltage drop to it
being under 24V. The spec about frequency shifting under Voltage change is
not really relevant if you aren't using the output during the power outage.
You just want to keep the oscillator ticking and ovens warm to prevent
having to re-age after an outage.

Tim N3QE