[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 25 13:57:59 UTC 2020

Hi

How often do you loose power? If it’s once a year for < 1 hour …. how big an
issue is this to you? Do you *need* to do precision measurements every day?
Is restarting a run once a year a major issue? Option one is to simply restart
after an outage. Option two is to protect against it.

To protect a full bench setup, some sort of UPS is going to be needed. With counters
and all the other “stuff” there really is no other practical approach. That immediately
gets to how much power for how long. A bench that pulls 800W and a typical
outage of 4 hours is going to mean a pretty big battery pack on the UPS.

If you go shopping and expect a typical outage of 4 hours, shop for something rated
at 6 hours (at your power level). If the bench appears to pull 800W go for something
>= 1,200W continuous duty. For a variety of reasons, you need to have some “margin”
in both numbers.

When you get into run time dimensioned in hours, things get nutty expensive. A generator
(natural gas or propane powered) with an auto start is often the lower cost approach
compared to giant batteries. You still need the UPS, but it only has to run for a few
minutes while the generator fires up.

======

In the house before this one, the generator *was* the way to go. That neighborhood
was deep in the woods. If a big storm blew in off the ocean and a lot of trees went down,
our little cluster of houses was not very high on the list for repair. We could be out
for a week or more every couple years. An outage of > 2 hours was pretty normal
several times a year.

=====

When we first moved in here, the main feed line into town had “issues”. Just about
any time of year, a modest amount of wind could shut down the feed line. It was
reasonable to expect multiple outages a month. In the windy months multiple
outages a day did happen. As a result, we had a *lot* of UPS’s scattered around
the house. The outages were mostly in the 5 seconds to two minutes range. Very
normal UPS units did the trick.

A convenient tornado came through a few years ago. It took out about 1/3 of the
feed line and the sub-station feeding the line. As a result they replaced the entire
feed line. Since then, there has been very little need for the UPS fleet.

One aspect of keeping a heavily used setup running is wear and tear on the batteries.
They don’t last as long as you might hope they would, at least not to anywhere near
the full capacity rating. Going to LIthium’s instead of sealed lead acid’s might help
this, but at a pretty steep price up front. Are they cheaper long term? We’ll know in
20 years …. :)

Bob