[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 25 17:22:23 UTC 2020

Hi

Properly charging batteries is a bit complicated. Why does “properly” matter? You want them to be fully
charged, but not damage them in the process. That generally involves some sort of variable voltage
for the charging source. If you decide to go with Lithium based parts, you can get BMS (battery management)
IC’s that can help with the charging and the balancing ( = you want them all at equal voltages) of the cells.

If you look at older gear, this sort of thing didn’t get a lot of attention. Most of the backup battery setups
worked poorly as a result.

======

One “cute” alternative is to do a battery + boost converter ( = switcher) instead. If the device only operates
during a power outage, noise is not a big deal. Everything that is attached to the OCXO output is dead anyway ….

The advantage of a switcher is obviously efficiency. A fully charged “12V” LiFePo4 stack could easily be at 14.8V.
Fully discharged it might get down to 10.4V. Allowing for that 1.4:1 output ratio with a linear regulator means a
lot of (expensive) battery energy goes up in heat ….

Bob