[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Mon Sep 28 16:57:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

Darn, Bob beat me to it! I was going to suggest the AD590 and a suitable
ADC. The ceramic part is relatively small.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/analog-devices-inc/AD590JF/AD590JF-ND/611802
It's not as small as a thermistor, but not overly large. They have other
packages as well.

The smallest device is probably still a TC (40 gauge TC wire is small!)
But honestly getting down below .1 Deg C can be hard to do. (If the
icepoint reference doesn't have the resolution you'll get jumps in the
curve as ambient changes.)

For thermistors, at least a ways back GE Thermometrics sold glass
packaged parts with calibration coefficients. They weren't really cheap,
but were small and accurate enough.

Honestly, if it were an experimental setup and not production I'd just
grab some glass packaged parts from digikey (looks like a lot of options
around a few $ ea.) . Bias it with a resistor from a fixed supply, then
run a three point calibration (Icepoint, boiling point, and somewhere in
between) and generate calibration coefficients. Pair that with a
inexpensive-ish 24bit ADC, and you'll have all the resolution you want.
You should get sub .05 deg accuracy, at least short term. Skip the
calibration and just use the published B value, and you'll still have
the resolution.

Let us know what you settle on.

Dan