[time-nuts] Help needed with frequency standard

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 29 17:08:16 UTC 2020

Hi

You have a lot of stuff that runs off of GPS L1. Any “common mode” issues
(like ionospheric disturbances) will propagate into all of them. What impact that
has on each one is very much a “that depends” sort of thing. The firmware and
filtering quickly get into the act …. They all will wander, just not in exactly the
same way.

The PRS-10 does have an internal “sync” capability. The main purpose for the
input is to simply calibrate the device from time to time. It is not really intended
to replace a GPSDO.

Any of the devices you have are fine for putting the PRS-10 on frequency to calibrate
it. All are equally likely to wander around. The PRS-10 will not help much with this wandering.

You can look at all of this with something like a TAPR TICC. To look at lots of them
at once, a set of TAPR TICC’s would be nice to have …..

Bob