[time-nuts] Help needed with frequency standard

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 02:23:52 UTC 2020

Mark:

I don't have a PPS syncable PRS-10 yet, but will probably be getting one
within a
year or so.  My expectations are not great, however, because I already know
that
the received GPS time has diurnal wiggles to the tune of up to 10's of nsec
p-p.
And I also know that the PRS-10 (and probably all others in its price
class) make
seemingly random frequency "adjustments" on a time scale of just a few
hours.
For a GPS disciplining loop to fix both, it would have to have a loop time
constant
long compared to a day on the one hand, yet a loop time constant of well
under a
day on the other.  It's kind of tough to have one loop with both properties
at once.

Dana