[time-nuts] Help needed with frequency standard

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Sep 30 13:49:33 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Sep 29, 2020, at 10:23 PM, Dana Whitlow <k8yumdoober at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mark:
>
> I don't have a PPS syncable PRS-10 yet, but will probably be getting one
> within a
> year or so.  My expectations are not great, however, because I already know
> that
> the received GPS time has diurnal wiggles to the tune of up to 10's of nsec
> p-p.
> And I also know that the PRS-10 (and probably all others in its price
> class) make
> seemingly random frequency "adjustments" on a time scale of just a few
> hours.
> For a GPS disciplining loop to fix both, it would have to have a loop time
> constant
> long compared to a day on the one hand, yet a loop time constant of well
> under a
> day on the other.  It's kind of tough to have one loop with both properties
> at once.
>
> Dana

Rb’s do not have super duper performance at short tau. At least not compared to
reasonably good OCXO’s. An OCXO with a 1 second ADEV below 1x10^-12 is
not terribly hard to find. Your “typical” Rb ( = not a 5065) is going to be 10X worse
than that at 1 second. Indeed the PRS-10 (by design) has some interesting issues
in the 1 to 10 second region ( = it is worse than several others out there …).

If you are looking for good short term, an OCXO is cheaper to buy and cheaper
to run ( = lower power ). What you are after very much dictates what makes sense.
There is no “one size fits all” solution.

A fancy Rb GPSDO will have some method of stretching the disciplining process out
*way* past what anb OCXO based part would do. Some way of looking at day to day
(or couple day) readings is needed. It still will not take out all of the daily “wobble” in
GPS, but it will attenuate it some.

Indeed an L1 / L2 based part ( possibly using a ZED-F9P (or T) ) could take out all
the wobble if corrections are applied. That’s not as crazy a thing as it once was. There
would be a bit of lag to deal with so it’s not quite a slam dunk.

Since Rb’s do not typically have super temperature performance ( = they are not
a Cs standard …) some sort of solution also needs to be applied in that area if
you will be running a really long loop. Otherwise all you will do is track your
HVAC system :)

Fun !!

Bob