[time-nuts] Re: Crystal sweet-spot (was: Best frequency to start for GHz synth ?)

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 5 21:40:59 UTC 2021

Bob somewhere buried in my collection of interesting bits I have a rather
battered demo sample of what the British GPO Research crystal labs refered
to as an Essen Ring. It is indeed around 3 inches in outer diameter and
almost an inch thick and wide. this would have been cut from natural quartz.
I suspect this specimen is a 'failed' sample. The ring is suspended in a
couple of silk threads.I also have what I think is a higher frequency ring
which is mouned in a 1.5inch diameter evacuated glass holder.
I was told that if the large ring was tapped gently with a pencil it would
'ring' for 5 minutes (that there may be some exageration  there) I believe
Qs of 5E^6 were mentioned. More reliable info would be found in the reports
:-))  This was around 60 years ago.

Alan
G3NYK