[time-nuts] Re: Crystal sweet-spot (was: Best frequency to start for GHz synth ?)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 6 00:29:34 UTC 2021

Hi

A “modern” 5 MHz 5th overtone AT cut resonator *should* be able to
hit a Q of 5 million. Indeed one has to do everything right to hit that
number. More or less it is the design that “defines” the Q of a bar of
quartz. (Yes, there’s more to it …..).

Since that part uses a blank that is about 15 mm in diameter you *could*
scale from there. This is never going to be the whole story some things
get messy.

Freq	 MHz		diameter mm

5 				15
2.5				30
1				75
0.5				150
0.1				750

The obvious point here being that a 3/4 M diameter resonator blank
just isn’t going to work. Things like the Essen Ring are a way to get
around some of this. Yes, there are trade off’s. That’s what keeps
crystal design guru’s employed.

Bob