[time-nuts] Re: Request for Spirent GSS4200 User Manual

gandalfg8 at aol.com gandalfg8 at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 09:11:54 UTC 2021

Spirent have indeed done a very good job of removing just about everything from the public domain.Having spent many hours a few years ago trying to find a copy of SimChan for the GSS4100 I also had to give up, despite finding references not that much older which indicated it had previously been readily available.I think the crunch came when a lot of Spirent gear hit the surplus market and perhaps affected sales of new equipment, so can't really blame them.

I do have the user manual for the GSS4200, it doesn't seem to have a vast amount of detail but does cross reference in places to the GSS4100, which can also be directly controlled via GPIB, so I have now updated my previous GSS4100 file on Mediafire to include both.The file also includes some USB drivers, although I always used GPIB, plus a few Spirent App notes etc....
https://www.mediafire.com/file/di0jiayxlz0demg/Spirent_4100_4200.zip/file
I've checked that the file downloads ok but any problems please let me know and I can try again.
I never did come across a copy of SimChan so if you ever find that I know I won't be the only who'd be grateful for a copy:-)
Nigel GM8PZR

I am ** desperate ** for a User Manual for the Spirent GSS4200 GNSS
simulator (e.g.,
https://www.testequipmentconnection.com/54837/Spirent_GSS4200.php). That
model is somewhat unique, in that it's one of only a very few that Spirent
released that can/will run without an external "control" program. Using the
manual from the GSS6100, I'm able to do a couple of things with the GSS4200
over GPIB, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the
GSS4200 into a mode other than single-channel (it supports 6 channels, and
has a single-channel mode). I suspect there is a command to do this, but I
have not been able to figure it out.

I have spent 8+ hours searching sites and archives, to no avail. Spirent
has done a rather impressive job of locking down their support software and
docs behind a paywall (and I wonder if they even have the docs for the
GSS4200 any more). Any help is appreciated, I'm happy to give back if
someone wants to snag another GSS4200 (around $700 used) and use it as a
simulator.

Thanks,
Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.            aek at pumpkininc.com