[time-nuts] Re: 20210423: Introduction and Request for Spirent GSS4200 User Manual / Help

Andrew Kalman aekalman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:31:29 UTC 2021

Hi Paul.

Yes, I've been on this same journey. After I learned (somewhat unrelated)
that one is supposed to have an FCC license to rebroadcast GNSS signals
(e.g. via a repeater inside a lab, makes eminent sense), I started thinking
more about GNSS simulators and how they might be added to my company's
workflow. So I bid on a couple of units, got them for pennies on the
dollar, and started messing with them in the hope of ending up with an
ATE/rack-type setup that I can build into a nearly automatic test &
validation suite.

Let's say I was much more successful with the Spectracom/Orolia GSG-5 than
with the Spirent GSS4200 ... In the case of the GSG-5, it's really just a
question of how many options you can afford -- the rest is all there, you
don't need a support contract, it's all easily accessible in the unit
itself, and as long as the Internet exists the GSG-5 will probably keep
working (it gets time, ephemeris and almanac data from servers -- it can
simulate stuff NOW (wth the right options), not just in the past and
future). The GSS4200 is about 10-15 years older, and it shows (in terms of
ease-of-use), along with how Spirent chose to monetize their users /
subscribers. Also, the GSG-5 adds things like interference to the signals
(all for a price, of course). IOW, the newer units (at least, from
Spectracom was XL Microwave is now Orolia) are a whole lot easier to use
... but they come at a price. It's an interesting business.

I will say that the build quality of the Spirent is very good. I have not
opened up the GSG-5, just did a calibration and it was very close.

I'm a little bit surprised that there is not an open-source, SDR-based GNSS
simulator (at least, one I could find).

--Andrew

Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.