[time-nuts] Re: HP5061 offline management.

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 13:14:11 UTC 2021

I have a 5061A that has been sitting in my shack for over 25 years.   I
keep it in  standby, using just the OCXO as a casual reference, good for
less than 1 PPM.  I check the 1PPS output against GPS using a counter timer
and tweak the front panel pot a few times a year to keep it spot on.
When high accuracy is needed, perhaps a few times a year, Cs is activated
and it typically comes up to satisfactory accuracy is around an hour - I
usually leave it two hours.

Yes it consumes a few tens of watts, but I'm quite prepared to spend the
few pence per day that costs :-) to keep the tube fully pumped and ready to
go.

I replaced the NiCd battery pack which was completely dead when I got the
unit with a LM317 and float charged 24V lead acid batteries.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com