[time-nuts] Re: E5500 blues

Richard Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Aug 18 18:49:11 UTC 2021

Before attempting to help you, it would be useful if you could give us
more details as to what you are trying to accomplish with the E5500.
The E5500 is primarily positioned as a RESIDUAL phase noise analyzer.
The fact that you are talking about the PLL feature implies that you are
not measuring residual phase noise, but rather are measuring the noise
of some source.  That is a legacy feature carried over from the
3047/3048, etc products that were sold before the introduction of the
Keysight E5052B Signal Source Analyzer.  If my guess is correct, then I
would recommend that tool.   It is vastly easier to use than the E5500.
There are also many other solutions from vendors besides Keysight that
evaluate source noise.  Possibly, even though you are measuring source
noise, you have a corner case where the E5500 is nevertheless essential
for some complicated reason.

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK