[time-nuts] Re: E5500 blues

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Aug 18 19:12:15 UTC 2021

Hi Rick,

Just following the manual, I've done the first confidence test setup,
and that worked fine, and then went on to do the first measurement of a
source, which is the first step to advance things. The feature set,
emphasis on the many things it can do etc does not reflect at all what
you say. It can do way more than just residual even if absolute phase
noise measurement was offered in a more gift-wrapped form with the
E5052, but then that's not what we discuss here and becomes meaningless.
I seek advice to get the E5500 do the things it is able to do, I'm just
having trouble getting even the basic measurement to work. So, I took a
5 MHz of a source and just wanted it to do a measure on that signal, to
see that things work, all per basic manual example. I do not even
attempt to push it to phase-noise limits, then a different setup with it
would be recommended and I will do that later.

So, with a 5 MHz source, a RF generator that is doing DCFM lock of PLL
and then analyse spectrum of that, that fails to lock this PLL loop, and
I fail to get a monitored beat note that makes sense. So, I was hoping
someone had done this and could help me with the teething problems. Once
that is done I intended to redo this at 180 MHz and 1440 MHz just for fun.

Thus, 3047, 3048 and E5052 becomes off topic, and not part of this exercise.

Cheers,
Magnus