[time-nuts] Testing a GPS mag mount antenna

skipp isaham skipp025 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 20:14:56 UTC 2021

Hello to the Group,

I picked a box of used (removed from commercial radio APRS type service)
mobile/vehicle GPS Antennas. They are mostly the classic square molded,
black plastic magnetic mount type, about the size of a bar of soap when
cut to square (2/3 the size of a large bar of soap). The coax length
terminates to an SMA connector.

I'd like to use some of these unmarked (obviously also unbranded)
antennas for a few projects. The initial goal is to first set up a
system to test (good/bad) the antennas, then determine their operation
voltage, I suspect them to be 3.x to 5.x Volts. They are probably not
"new enough" to be the type to operate of 3 or 5 Volts DC.

For testing... I purchased a nice NOS Mini-Circuits bias-Tee.

The intent is to now operate the antenna through the bias-tee, in to an
analyzer. I would initially start the bias supply off at 3 Vdc, while
also monitoring current.  If I don't receive an adequate/valid GPS
signal off air, I could increase the bias up to 5 Vdc (rinse/repeat).

Should I be able to "see something" on or around the GPS frequency other
than what I suspect will be something visual looking like a noise/pulse
source/signal?

I don't yet have a GPS receiver with a signal strength indicator, else I
could probably not have to send this post.  But, I do have access to an
analyzer, I bought the bias-tee (was reasonable in price) and I'd like
to test these 30 antennas to see if they work and determine if 3.x volts
is enough... or 5 volts is required.

Thank you in advance for any replies and comments.

cheers,

skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com