[time-nuts] Re: Testing a GPS mag mount antenna

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 20 20:39:08 UTC 2021

Hi

The GPS signals are spread spectrum transmissions. If you look for them with
a normal spectrum analyzer they are 10’s of db’s below the noise floor. Yes,
that’s a bit weird, but it does work.

Your gizmos may or may not include a preamp. First thing I’d do is take a look
at current into the device vs supply voltage over at least the 3 to 5V range. They
should pull 10ma or more.

If they have a preamp (and it has reasonable gain), you should see the noise
from the preamp come up as the power comes on. As an example, a 20 db
preamp should give you about a 20 db “noise hump” on an analyzer that can
see down to the noise floor.

Have fun !!!

Bob