[time-nuts] Re: Testing a GPS mag mount antenna

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 21:42:16 UTC 2021

The first generation GPS were, IIRC, 50 Watts, +17dBW  EIRP.   The latest
one are higher power at up to 200W, or 23dBW EIRP
If you go through the link budget calculations, and assume a receiver with
a good noise figure, you can show that with a ground station antenna of
more than about 36dBi gain you can see the GPS signal above receiver
noise.    That gain corresponds to a dish of about 4.5 metres diameter at
1575MHz.   Bigger than one most radio amateurs are likely to fit in their
back garden, although there are a few moonbouncers around the World with
dishes that big.    Quite a few have 3m dishes.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com