[time-nuts] Re: Testing a GPS mag mount antenna

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:19:10 UTC 2021

Skipp,

Several responders have correctly referred to the "noise floor", but I
believe that
none have said what level that is.  And it's not trivial to say so, either,
because it
is dependent on the extent to which the antenna under test sees the sky and
ignores blackbody radiation from the ground.  An ideal GPS antenna would see
only the sky, but not the ground at all.  But none are ideal in this regard
unless
placed on a large level metallic "ground plane".

It may happen that in this era of higher-powered L1 transmitters aboard some
of the satellites, their total noise power spectral density might exceed
cold sky
noise by enough to be obvious on a spectrum analyzer looking at the output
of
an active GPS antenna.

But I've saved the good news for last.  The noise PSD of the ground as
sensed
by a passive antenna is about -114 dBm in 1 MHz BW, or -174 dBm in 1 Hz BW.

So here is what I suggest for your antenna functional tests:
Mount the antenna under test on the end of an insulating horizontal rod,
which
can be rotated to make the antenna face either the ground or the sky.

Examine the spectrum on a span setting of several MHz, and see if the noise
level over a BW of a few MHz is higher with the antenna pointed down than
when pointed up.  Oh, I forgot to mention: for tests like this the antenna
should
be supported a few feet above the ground level, so that input noise of the
LNA
does not get reflected off the ground and back into the antenna to an
appreciable
extent.  It also helps if the ground is very rough, like maybe tall grass.

What you may see with the antenna looking at the ground is blackbody
radiation
from the ground being filtered by the input filter of the LNA- and that
filter hump
is indicative (but not yet proof) of the antenna's working.  When the
antenna faces
the sky, the ground noise hump should disappear and be replaced by the
spectrum
of the combined signals from all the GPS satellites above you.

This is all provided the cascaded combination of the GPS antenna's LNA  and
the
SA's noise floor is is very quiet.  With practical antennas and SA's, this
is unlikely
to ever yield a rise of more than a very few dB if that much.  So, to see
this, you
should setup the SA so that you get an average power spectrum, meaning using
lots of video filtering on an old-fashioned swept analyzer, or trace
averaging of many
traces on an FFT-type SA.  The required averaging time to get good
smoothing of
the noise levels will be minimized by using as wide a resolution bandwidth
as you
can, but always less than the BW of the spread-spectrum GPS signals or the
antenna's
inpuy filter.  But you don't want to go too wide, either, for you will lose
the frequency
resolution that may  let you distinguish between the antenna's filter hump
shape and
that spectrum comprising the GPS signals in view at the time.  I'd suggest
starting with
a BW of around 100 kHz as a fair compromise.  For more on this aspect of
things,
look up "radiometer equation" on the web- we'll make a radio astronomer of
you yet :-)

BTW, it will likely be needed to add some additional gain between the
antenna and the
SA's input.  Many of the older SA's have really rotten NF, like 30 dB or
worse.

Dana    K8YUM