[time-nuts] Efratom LPRO-101 Rubidium question....

mpb45 at clanbaker.org mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Sat Aug 21 12:50:24 UTC 2021

Hello Time-Nutters--

I am working on building a downlinking AZ/EL tracking dish set up to
receive the 8.2 GHz telemetry from the Suomi JPSS polar orbit
meteorological/environmental satellite.  The receiver seems to be
working OK but it periodically appears to slowly drift frequency by
300 Hz to 400 Hz.  I need some way to accurately determine what
the actual RX receive frequency is.

I have a vintage Efratom LPRO-101 Rubidium 10 MHz oscillator.
I originally got it thinking that it would provide a decent
phase-lock reference for my freq-counters, o-scopes, spectrum
analyzers and Agilent/HP vector network analyzer.

The only other item I have that has (or should have) a reasonably
accurate 10 MHz reference output is a Trimble Thunderbolt.
However, there is a several hundred Hz freq difference between the
Efratom and the Trimble T-bolt.

My question is how do I go confirming the frequency of the T-Bolt
or the Efratom Rubidium?  The Efratom has an adjustment pot
to fine-tune its output frequency.  How do Time-Nutters go about
confirming the accuracy of frequency references such as my
T-Bolt or Efratom rubidium oscillator?

Thanks for any feedback / suggestions on this !!

Off-list communications on this via my email is OK!!

Mike Baker   mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Micanopy/Gainesville  North Central Florida