[time-nuts] Re: Efratom LPRO-101 Rubidium question....

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Aug 21 18:22:01 UTC 2021

Hi

If the TBolt is locked up and has stayed locked up for 24 hours
it should be pretty accurate. Ideally you would like to be locked
to at least 4 sats at all times for best accuracy. Lady Heather is
your friend when it comes to checking this sort of thing.

How good is “pretty accurate”? At 8 GHz, it’s a good bet ( 99 %)
that you are under 1 Hz of error. It’s a reasonable bet (> 80%) that
you are under 0.1 Hz. Both assume a 100 second gate on your
counter. Things degrade a bit if you go to shorter gate times. The
numbers above are conservative for most TBolts.

The Efratom drifts (ages) enough that a 300 Hz error at 8 GHz is not
impossible. A lot depends on just how long it’s been since it last
was set on frequency. Most examples are not that far off frequency ….

Neither the TBolt *or* the LPRO should “drift” 300 to 400 Hz at
8 GHz over any reasonable amount of time ( hours, days, weeks).
This assumes they stay powered up and in the TBolt’s case, locked
to >4 sats.

What to do? Best guess is the TBolt is right and the LPRO is wrong.
Reset the LPRO so it agrees with the TBolt.

Bob