[time-nuts] Re: Subject: Rapco 3804A Time Code Generator

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 22 16:27:53 UTC 2021

Hi

A lot depends on just *what* the error actually is that’s popping up on the Rb. In some
cases you have a VCXO that locks up to the Rb signal . The VCXO ages “far enough” to
cause problems. Adjusting it can help in this case. You need to do some digging to see
if your specific make / model / date code has this issue.

If it is a lamp, some have had luck pulling the lamp out of various Rb’s and blasting it
with a hot air gun. This sort of thing is not for the faint of heart.

Indeed Rb’s do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. Replacing the whole unit
might be an alternative.

Bob