No subject

Thu Aug 26 18:32:08 UTC 2021

Tom Holmes, N8ZM

-----Original Message-----
From: Lux, Jim <jim at luxfamily.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 1:37 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] uncertainty/SNR of IQ measurements

This is sort of tangential to measuring time, really more about
measuring phase.

I'm looking for a simplified treatment of the uncertainty of I/Q
measurements.  Say you've got some input signal with a given SNR and you
run it into a I/Q demodulator - you get a series of I and Q measurements
(which might, later, be turned into mag and phase).

If the phase of the input happens to be 45 degrees relative to the LO
(and at the same frequency), then you get equal I and Q values, with
(presumably) equal SNRs.

But if the phase is 0 degrees, is the SNR of the I term the same as the
input (or perhaps, even, better), but what's the SNR of the Q term (or
alternately, the sd or variance) - Does the noise power in the input
divide evenly between the branches?  Is the contribution of the noise
from the LO equally divided? So the I is "input + noise/2" and Q is
"zero + noise/2"

If one looks at it as an ideal multiplier, you're multiplying some "cos
(omega t) + input noise" times "cos (omega t) + LO noise" - so the noise
in the output is input noise * LO + LO noise *input and a noise * noise
term.

I'm looking for a sort of not super quantitative and analytical
treatment that I can point folks to.